Premier League stars to boycott social media for 24 hours in protest at online racism with the likes of Sterling, Salah and Smalling backing campaign

Premier League stars to boycott social media for 24 hours in protest at online racism with the likes of Sterling, Salah and Smalling backing campaign

Leading Premier League players have backed plans for a 24-hour social media boycott in protest at an escalation of incidents of racial abuse online.


The campaign, which has been launched by the Professional Footballers’ Association, will urge players to stay off social media from 9am on Friday after posting the hashtag #Enough.





The likes of Raheem Sterling have been subject to racist abuse multiple times this season at home and abroad



3




The likes of Raheem Sterling have been subject to racist abuse multiple times this season at home and abroad



The PFA say it is intended as a show of solidarity with players who have been targeted, as well as a demand to social media organisations and the game’s authorities that more needs to be done.


Simone Pound, Head of Equalities at the PFA, said: “Football has the power to do so much good in the world. We must always try to use the sport’s popularity and influence to make positive change.


“Over the last few months we have seen a rise in appalling instances of racist abuse at grounds around the world, and on social media. We cannot stand by while too little is done to address this unacceptable behaviour.


“The PFA has always been at the forefront of tackling racism and we are reaffirming our commitment to all of our members. We will do all we can to put an end to the abuse players face on the pitch and online.”















Manchester United defender Chris Smalling has given his strong backing to the campaign after he was abused on Twitter after his side’s Champions League defeat in Barcelona this week.


Smalling joins a lengthening list of players, also including Mohamed Salah, Danny Welbeck, Raheem Sterling, Michy Batshuayi, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Moussa Sissoko, who have received abuse over the same platform in recent years.


Smalling said: “Throughout my career I have developed a thick skin against verbal abuse, justifying it as just ‘part of the game’ but the time has come for Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to consider regulating their channels, taking responsibility for protecting the mental health of users regardless of age, race, sex or income.





Smalling and Aubameyang will be taking part too




Getty



3




Smalling and Aubameyang will be taking part too



“I understand that I am in an extremely privileged position and I am deeply thankful for that but, at the end of the day, we are all human.


“As a patron of a youth education charity it is my duty to use my platform as a voice for all, regardless of background. We have to take a greater stand against discrimination of all kinds.”


Concern is mounting over racism in football after a spate of attacks on players both on social media and in and around stadiums.


England’s black players were subjected to repeated chants during their Euro 2020 qualifier in Montenegro last month, while Tottenham defender Danny Rose revealed recently he has ‘had enough’ and ‘can’t wait’ to quit the game.





Danny Rose has said he is sick of racism in football



3




Danny Rose has said he is sick of racism in football



Rose said: “When I said that I can’t wait to see the back of football, it is because of the racism that I, and many other players, have been subjected to our entire careers.


“Football has a problem with racism.


“I don’t want any future players to go through what I’ve been through in my career.


“Collectively, we are simply not willing to stand by while too little is done by football authorities and social media companies to protect players from this disgusting abuse.”





Track breaking Premier League Transfer News headlines on NewsNow: the one-stop shop for Premier League Transfer News news Hazard to seal €120m Real Madrid
Transfer news, rumours LIVE: Real Madrid agree Hazard deal




Manchester United have been holding talks with Juventus forward Paulo Dybala ahead of a bigger summer rebuilding job, according to reports. Dybala, the talented 25-year-old, has only netted five times in Serie A since the arrival of Cristiano Ronaldo last summer.
Dybala and Man Utd in transfer talks 'for a month' with




'We don't need Salah' - Lovren jokes with team-mate the morning after historic win talkSPORT 15:01 8-May-19 Dejan Lovren reveals Jurgen Klopp's unique team talk before Liverpool beat Barcelona Mirror.co.uk 14:43 8-May-19


Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has hailed his sides incredible development ahead of tomorrow nights Champions League quarter-final clash against Porto at Anfield. The Reds have been in superb form domestically, losing just one Premier League game all season, and are currently fighting out a fascinating title race with Man City.
'We are on fire': Jürgen Klopp hails Liverpool ahead of



Next article Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish hailed by ecstatic fans for stunning individual goal against Rotherham. for fans' racial abuse of Juventus
Aston Villa's Jack Grealish is PUNCHED by pitch invader at




Home News How to watch without paying extra plus TV channel, paying extra plus TV channel, kick-off time and line-ups live on talkSPORT 2: Commentary, stream


SPAIN international legend Santiago Canizares says Jose Antonio Reyes "does not deserve a tribute like a hero". The controversial comments come after 35-year-old ex-Arsenal star Reyes died in a horrific 120mph car crash on Saturday morning outside of Seville.



Darren Moore EXCLUSIVE: Race had nothing to do with Brighton sacking Chris Hughton, insists former West Brom boss. of the decisions from West Brom or Brighton had anything to do with the
Darren Moore EXCLUSIVE: Race had nothing to do with Brighton




The Portuguese superstar has been rivalling Lionel Messi over who is the greatest on the planet for years. But Ronaldo's form has deteriorated this season, limiting the 33-year-old to just eight league goals in RED-EMPTION. Salah and Origi fire Reds to sixth Euro crown a year after final heartache.
Liverpool legend Terry McDermott shocked at | Express.co.uk




Just a day after Manchester United's home kit for the 2019/20 season has been released, the Old Trafford outfit's away kit for next season has been leaked online. The design of the leaked away
Leaked Images Of Man Utd's Home Kit For The 2018/19 Season




AARON RAMSEY has been forced to pull out of the Wales squad for the start of their Euro 2020 qualifying campaign through injury. Arsenal star Ramsey missed the friendly against Trinidad and Tobago while he nursed a thigh problem in midweek but had hoped to be fit to face Slovakia tomorrow.
Aaron Ramsey out of Euro 2020 qualifier against Slovakia due




Prolific Holland striker Vivianne Miedema is one of three players from title-chasing Arsenal included in the 2019 PFA Women's Super League Team of the Year. The division's top scorer, who has
Young WSL Stars Dominate PFA Women's Players' Player of the


No comments:

Post a Comment